• Steve Potter

7/25/2020 : Phillies Minor League History - Western International League


Time Period - 1952 & 1954


Venues : see below


Cities : Kennewick, Pasco & Richland,WA ( Tri-Cities ) & Salem, OR


.....................................


Franchise Histories :


The Western International League was a mid- to higher-level circuit in the northwest US and western Canada. Informally known as the "Willy" loop it operated in 1922, 1937–1942, and 1946–1954. In 1955 the league changed its name to the Northwest League and still operates today as a short season loop under that name.


Tri-City Braves :


The Tri Cities are in southeastern Washington state and include Kennewick, Richland and Pasco. The Tri-City Braves were a member of the Western International League from 1950 through 1954, then became a charter member of the new Northwest League in 1955.


Various iterations of the team has played over the years including the current Tri City Dust Devils, an affiliate of the San Diego Padres. Eleven major league organizations have had player development contracts with the Tri-Cities including the Phillies in 1952.


................................


Salem Senators :


The Senators team was founded in 1940. A later incarnation started in 1977 remains in the Northwest League as the Hillsboro Hops.


On May 1, 1940, the first Senators' game was played at the new Waters Field, which was also the first professional baseball game in the city. The Salem team ceased operations in 1966. On November 11, 1966, the already-condemned Waters Field burned down. A US Post Office and its parking lot stand on the site now.


In 1997 the Salem Keizer Volcanos franchise was born and have represented Salem since in the Northwest League as an affiliate of the San Francisco Giants.


Four MLB organizations have had player development contracts with teams in the city including the Phillies in 1954.


..................................


The Stadiums the Phillies teams played in :


Sanders-Jacobs Field - Kennewick, WA

Also Known As: Sanders Field


Location: Clearwater Avenue, Kennewick, WA.

Capacity: 5,500 (1952), 4,000 (1955), 2,500 (1970)

Dimensions (Left, Center, Right): 330-400-330


The stadium was home to seven different minor league organizations from 1950 when it was built to 1975 when it was torn down.

George E. Waters Field - Salem, OR


Location: 25th & Mission Streets SE.

Capacity: 6,000 (1950); 4,500 (1961)

Dimensions (Left, Center, Right): 338-369-328 (1961)


The field opened May 1, 1940 and was named for George E. Waters, the original owner of the Salem Senators franchise. On November 11, 1966, Waters Field burned down. In 1976, a US Post Office facility was built and continues to occupy the former site of Waters Field.


.............................


The Seasons :


1952 - Tri-Cities :


Western International League ( A ) ... Manager : Charlie Gassaway ... 67-79, 7th place ... Attendance : 54,022


24 year old RHP Bob Greenwood went 16-10 with a 2.45 ERA in 30 games ( 220 IP ). He would pitch in 12 major league games with the 1954 and 1955 Phillies ... the extent of his big league days ... Greenwood played 12 seasons of pro baseball before retiring after 1960

1954 - Salem :


Western International League ( A ) ... Managers : Harvey Storey & Hal Lubey ... 71-66, 4th place ... Attendance : 48,438


The club roster wasn’t exclusive to just Phillies players ... in fact the majority of the roster consisted of either on-loan from other organizations or non affiliated players.


Player Manager Hal Luby was the most distinguished of the lot ... he hit .357 in 115 AB’s as a 41 year old ... Luby had played in 120 major league games with the 1936 Philadelphia A’s and 1944 New York Giants ... he played 23 seasons of minor league baseball


Happy Day, Happy Baseball ⚾️


...................................








 
  • Facebook

©2020 by Phillies - A Fan’s View. Proudly created with Wix.com